Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Week 6 Day 3 - Anger

I won't go into it much here because there is no need for me to wind myself up again but let's just say that I am damn proud of myself for not telling my boss to do something to herself that is physically impossible today.  And I am even MORE proud of, directly after leaving the meeting that left me shaking (in which I did not give her personal life-directive #1) walking outside IN THE RAIN, for 1 mile and getting my severe anger out.

I woke up today and did not want to get up at the first alarm.  So I hit snooze twice and then said "nope, you have to go do this - today is going to suck" and BOY was I right.  That early morning walk got me through a meeting that I'd have become unemployed in otherwise.  And the mid-day walk got me through the rest of the day. 

Anger is a very strong motivator for me to make bad decisions with what I put in my mouth.  Alcohol and cigarettes being #1 and fatty food being #2.  Today I walked.  #1 and #2 weren't even an option (till I got home and then they still weren't really an option because I don't want a drink tonight).  And this is a good, no GREAT thing for me to learn because I am German and Irish so I don't get mad, I GO OFF.  Picture volcano letting off steam till you just go *kablammo!*  That's me.  But now I have exercise as an outlet instead of food or other potentially self-destructive forces in my possession. 

On any other day like today (altho this was one for the books, I have had other stinkers) I would have said "F the points" and gone to McDonalds for some Chicken nuggets with sweet/sour sauce, large fries and a large Diet (haha) Dr Pepper.  Then maybe stopped at Dairy Queen on the way home.  Because when I get mad I want something to soothe me.  I talked to my roommate at length about anger and the importance of having healthy outlets for it.  And I think that it's in my current toolbox to have exercise become a part of my outlets for anger.  I have a post-it at work that says "Smile, Breathe, Think, Walk" and these are 4 steps I remind myself to take when I get mad.  I'm going to underline "walk" tomorrow.

Had a breakfast sandwich, yogurt, bread and cheese, chocolate sugar free pudding, cheese sandwich, Smart Ones Lasagne, a bowl of broccoli and cottage cheese and I still have 9 points left.  :)  Oh, and I have 7 activity points for the week, and it's only Tuesday.  :)

Never have these words been more true:  If I can do it so can you.

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

3 comments:

  1. ps. I walked 2 miles today, 2 miles yesterday, 2.2 miles the day before and 6 miles the day before that!! I just started to think about that and added them up - YAY me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - been so focused myself at work missed all of the action! Refocus, refocus, refocus!!!! You
    're doing so good - don't ever let someone else cause you to lose your focus or not reach your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh hell no, especially not my boss. You remind me of that. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete