Saturday, September 4, 2010

Week 5, Day 7 - Doin' The Walk of Life

First of all, ouch.  I can tell that I walked today.  So, I walked 6 miles at 3 miles an hour.  I know this because there were mile posts along the trail and I timed myself.  I was so proud of myself.  I went with my roommate and our friend and at a few points they were far enough behind me that I couldn't see or hear them.  I loved the scenery.  Unfortunately my phone is not working right now of I'd post some pictures that I took. 

The trail starts out in a parkinglot, just out of our little town, and there is a sign in this parkinglot that I took a picture of but can't post yet.  It said "Warning:  high crime area."  Uhhhhh. And I'm supposed to leave my car here and WALK?!  Luckily the walk then proceeds through trees on a path that looks a bit like the pictures you see of Central Park (NY) in fall.  Beautiful.  There were a few people on the trail, but not constant.  And then you keep walking and you see a little swampy area with lilly pads (at which point I was thinking "uhh, that is not a lake") but you keep walking down a gravel path, through gorgeous trees, blackberry bushes. Eventually the lake came into view and yes, there is indeed a lake there.  I had no idea. There were sign posts all along the way telling us how far we'd gone (which is great when you want to know your progress and at the end how close you are to done) and when I got to the one that said "3 miles" I waited for the boys to catch up and turned back around and walked back.

I was not trying to be super fast, just walk fast enough to get and keep my heart rate up.  And I got back to the car exactly 2 hours after we left.  By the end of the walk my knee (that I had surgery on in high school) was achy and my feet were starting to hurt, but I felt great otherwise.  It was awesome to be outside in nature.  At several points when I was by myself it felt so peaceful.  The lake itself had several aspects that reminded me of growing up in Montana.  We went to a tiny little camp every summer, slept on creaky/squeaky cots in drafty cabins and I spent most of my time in or on the lake.  At one point I remember going out in my canoe on the lake early in the morning when the mist was still all over and the smell of the water was something I re-experienced today.  Regardless of the scary sign at the start I could see this walk becoming a part of my regular routine.  It's not far from my house and it is a GREAT walk. 

Getting back into the car my knee was SCREAMING at me and my feet were throbbing but by the time we stopped to get an iced chai (that was my treat) and at the store to get chips for the great chicken nachos the throbbing had subsided and I was feeling that great relaxed feeling you get after a work out. 

So, I started my day with an egg white, mushroom, feta omelette with an iced coffee (skim milk) light & fit blueberry yogurt, toast with honey, lots of water before and after the walk and then my chai latte and chicken nachos with guacamole.  Not really hungry now but I'm thinking some sort of vegetables will make it into the menu and more water.

And did I mention I walked SIX MILES at 3 miles an hour???  Yes, even for a "Fat Girl Hike" it was a great workout.  I'm thinking tomorrow morning I may just get to the top of heartattack hill..... Thanks for the idea Janice.  I hope your bike ride went well. 

Tomorrow is weigh in day and I know I lost something, just not sure how much.  Regardless, I am proud of myself, I did some form of exercise EVERY day this week.  And that is a big deal.

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

2 comments:

  1. You are AMAZING!!!!!!
    You seriously inspire me. I know I can do this because you are doing it. I am DETERMINED to get up early tomorrow and walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you!! And I tell you if you just walk for 10 minutes you will feel better. Tomorrow morning I'm going to try to do 1 mile which should take probably 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete