Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Week 3 Day 4 - wagon? what wagon? I only see cupcakes.

So, today I went over my points.  And not just by 1.  Noooo.  I flew past my points total somewhere in the middle of lunch, probably around 12:10pm.  What happened?  A work party happened.  And I am not yet good enough at gauging my points values.  (this could also be turned around to point out that I'm not good at gauging points values and thus may not have eaten 42 points worth of food, but I think I may be close in my guessing.)  And I am certainly not good enough at stopping myself.  But, I am capable of analyzing the hell out of it, getting on my Wii and doing my best NOT to do it again.

This is what happened.  My work has some amazing cooks.  And part of us all dealing with the stress of work is to get together on a semi-regular basis (usually for someone's birthday) and have a potluck lunch.  Today's theme was sandwiches and salads.  Sounds healthy doesn't it??  Yeah.  Have you heard those commercials "Real Men of Genius" where they make fun of 12,000 calorie salads??  Yeah...

SO, here's what I ate today and why I've dipped into my weekly points (thank goodness they give you this option, so I don't feel quite so horrible but still).  Mind you on a lot of these items I don't know the points values so I had to create a recipe on the ww website and just guess.  (I do SO much better with pre-portioned foods!)

Breakfast:  1 Dannon Light & Fit and 1 Fiber 1 yogurt and 1 strawberry Lifewater.  This is a good start to the day, yummy and only 2 points.  This part of the day was FINE.

11:30:  lunch....(insert ominous music here, perhaps Jaws is the best choice)
Pea salad.  This wonderful concoction blends 2 of my favorite foods EVER - peas and cheese.  (see it even rhymes, it's awesome!)  But if you look it up on google for calories it's around 326 calories per SERVING... yeah. According to the info I fed into the ww website this "salad" was 14 points.

Sourdough bread (the tiny round kind) with home-made artichoke dip.  OMG this was good.  And OMG it was approximately 9 points.

Salsa (thank you lord, zero points, but wait there's more, the shark is moving to it's next victim)

Curried CousCous Salad.  This thing was amazing and I don't even know what all was in it.  Cous-cous (for sure) some red cabbage, onions, sultanas (yellow raisins) and some curry dressing stuff.  Made my taste buds stand up and do a dance of joy.  But again, guessing 10 points.  (do you see a running tally here????)

I had forgotten we had this luncheon so I ran to Subway and ordered 2 sandwiches, 1 veggie delight with pepperjack and cheddar and 1 turkey for those that aren't vegetarians.  I got it on flatbread and cut each sandwich into 1/4s so it was like a 3" sandwich.  But still, that was around 2 points.

And THEN I almost didn't but I went back and got a chocolate cupcake.  My co worker is an amazing cook and her cakes/cookies/cupcakes are sooooooooooooooo good.  And this chocolate cupcake was moist, had chocolate chips in it and on top of the creamy chocolate frosting.  OH MY WORD it was so good.  And at least 5 points.

So, yeah, now I'm home and no matter how much Wii Fit crap I do I will still be wanting to eat something in about an hour....I'm drinking water but today was NOT a good points day.  Again, the weight watchers plan is smart in that it anticipates days like today and lets you have points for the week to use up if you go over and "indulge".  So I've HEAVILY dipped into that points total.

I have to figure out how to tell myself that "yes, that is probably very good and it does smell very good, but you don't HAVE to have 1 of everything.  Or 2 of everything.  Or 3 of the freaking great cous cous."  The thing is this is honest.  This is life.  Some days I'm going to want to eat 3 portions of something totally great.  And I can either choose to eat it, or re-train my brain. (and eat only yogurt, diet soda and crackers....)

I will now be hauling my ass back on that wagon because I know that the long view of all of this is a change in my habits.  I grew up going to potlucks.  I am positive I will have them again.  So I MUST create a winning strategy for myself so that I can be social and not spend 50 points in a day.  Because the food may taste good but I do NOT want to go backwards.  So I won't. 

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.  (maybe 2 or 3)
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment