Monday, August 16, 2010

Week 3 Day 2 - Hormones and Retail Therapy

Ok, so, it's highly unlikely that any guys are reading this but if you are just know this is a post for the estrogen crowd.  You're more than welcome to read but you may not get as much out of it as the rest of us will.


Now then, my body is not cooperating with the new birth control prescription my doctor gave me a few months ago.  It was working fine.  Like clockwork actually for 6 months or so, but for some very strange (and as yet unknown to me) reason this week my body does not realize that this is not the week with the white (placebo) pills.  It's still just a regular week.  So instead of 5 days to get ready for cravings and bitchiness I get them NOW.  (Dear God please tell me this isn't going to mean 2 weeks of this?!  Calling doctor tomorrow.)


What this has resulted in was retail therapy at the end of an otherwise regularly fast-paced Monday at the office.  I needed to go shopping for a couple of co workers anyway but unfortunately I'd put the shopping trip off until today.  I am not a shopper.  Put me in a book store and I can shop or browse (with a cup of coffee) for hours.  But anything else is treated as a military excursion.  Surgical strike.  Make a plan.  Study the routes.  Get in. Get out.  Today, however I was shopping for a co-worker (the boss actually) and buying chocolate.  Lots of different kinds of yummy chocolate.  Normally my hormones would dictate that 1/2 of all the chocolate comes directly into my mouth.  And especially when my hormones are doing whatever the hell it is they are doing today/this week.  But today I made the conscious choice to say "nope, I don't want to use all of my points up for the week tonight."


I found a stash of Lifewater for $1 each (Target by the way) and the ChickN Strips I eat? Totally on sale for 2.87 a package (they are normally around 4).  So I bought a bunch of those.  My cart was hilarious - diet coke, chocolate of all shapes and sizes, Lifewater, veggie ChiNStrips and Veggie burgers.  (like a person who gets a double whopper, extra cheese, large fries and a "diet soda")


So, yeah I'm not feeling motivated to move today.  I had lots of intentions to come home and do yoga and I have zero desire to.  I did however go on a walk today.  This gets double "good for you" points from my conscience as it was blazing hot AND muggy outside and I would have been perfectly happy staying in my air conditioned office.  But I have a good friend that lets me vent AND who said she'd walk with me so we went on a walk.  It wasn't super fast and it wasn't a mile.  But it was like 150 degrees or something insane outside and my HORMONES were going nuts!  (ok, it was probably 95 plus humidity)


I've been doing my best to stock my fridge and kitchen with good (low points) foods.  You should see all the Life Water I have, and I bought some sugar free pudding snack packs and more Dannon Light & Fit Yogurts.  I'm re-training my brain to look at foods differently - and today I found this great bread from Sara Lee, it's 45 calories per slice!!  This means I can have 2 pieces for 1 point!  And I'm buying more salad stuff (because zero points is good) so while there is still cheese there are also lots of snacks that I can fill up on.


So, today's menu (so far):


2 Dannon Light & Fit yogurts - I like the vanilla and the berry flavors
1 Starbucks instant iced coffee packet (50 calories, 0 fat, 0 fiber - and I didn't add anything except water but then I realized it was 50 calories per SERVING and there are 2 servings per packet.....added it up on the ww website and it's TWO stinkin points!!! highly irritating....but 100% worth it.)
Medifast chicken noodle soup with the scrambled eggs  - may sound gross but it's actually not dissimilar to egg drop soup.  And even on a hot day it's good and fills me up. 
Then I came home and made 2 sandwiches (with my new bread, only 2 points for the bread and 2 points for cheese and 2 points for the veggie burgers).  I still have 18 points left so I'll be having vegetables and something protein-y later on. 

I may play some Wii games in a little bit, but then again I may just decide that I'd rather sit here and drink a big old glass of Crystal Light.  Hormones SUCK.  On the bright side, I did exercise today and there's every likelihood I'll stay under my points for the day.  And there's always tomorrow.  Yeah, calling the doctor tomorrow.

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

2 comments:

  1. If you want to try something different try the Sara Lee Sandwich Thins. 100 calories = 2 points. We have used them for our burgers and they work great. Who needs all the bun anyway? The filling is wait makes it good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, never heard of them but I just looked them up! Thanks for the tip! We like bbqs here so those would be great. The bread works really well for sandwiches cause I can have a sandwich (2 pieces) for 90 calories! I'm thinkin Sara Lee has some good stuff I need to explore. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete