Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hi

So, hi.  I'm Nikki and this is my log as a future-former couch potato.  I've been steadily gaining weight since I went to college and recently hit my top weight for the second time in 4 years.  I've looked into diets like The Zone, Medifast, the Master Cleanse and today I signed up for Weight Watchers. 

3 years ago I started counting calories, every single calorie I eat and using the website http://www.caloriecount.com/ to track (and grade) my caloric intake as well as my daily activities.  This website is free and it's a good one.  I recommend using it.  It worked too, I had a work buddy that walked with me.  We walked 3 miles a day.  Did it in spurts, starting at 1 mile as fast as we could (without feeling sick or light-headed) and worked up to the 3. 

I lost over 50 pounds.  It felt easy.  I was eating under 1500 calories a day and losing weight and being active.  Then I got a new job.  A promotion and a raise.  And I sat on my ass for hours at a time. 

And of course it (my ass) started expanding.  I gained all the weight back.  I've been lucky.  I don't have diabetes or heart disease.  Yet.

So, what started me on this latest journey?  I have several friends that have lost weight and gotten into shape but one of my very best friends, a woman I admire and love literally transformed herself in the last 5 years.  We'll call her Mel.  She and I met in college and we've both changed in many ways.  I hadn't seen her in a couple of years, even tho we live less than 300 miles from each other.  Life just does that as we get older.  And one day there she was on Facebook.  And I honestly almost didn't recognize her.  At first glance I asked who the woman was with her husband.  And then I realized it was Mel.  She had sculpted herself into a powerful, healthy woman.  She's always been beautiful but now she's HOT.

We have talked a few times about the fact that she'd done Weight Watchers (and is still part of it) and this last weekend, after seeing her and talking to her I came home and stepped on the scale and decided I'm doing this.

I will be 40 next year.  I have spent the last 20 years of my life being out of shape and unhealthy and now find myself at a point where I not only want to be healthy but I KNOW I can do this.  So, I'm doing this.  And I am going to use this blog as a way to track my progress.  And if it resonates with anyone out there let me know.

One day. One pound.  One step at a time.

~N

No comments:

Post a Comment