Thursday, August 12, 2010

Week 2, day 4 - Wii wii wii all the way home

A friend of mine at work heard me bitching about how much I don't like video games and said "you should try Wii Fit, it's working out and it's fun!".  I was reluctant to think of paying for a video game that was focused on exercise.  2 things that I do not like.  However, she suggested that I borrow her's as she is moving and can't use it for a couple of months.  Hmmm.  Something that will make me exercise, something that's a game, something that I can try out first? 

So, last night we put the balance board up and put the game in and the tiny little happy computer person said "that's obese" when I stepped on the board.  Wait, first the voice said "oh" when I stepped on the board.  (Like "oh my god how fat ARE YOU?!") And then it proceeded to tell me I was unbalanced!!  For something that's supposed to be fun this plastic thing was pissing me off.

And then I started doing downhill skiing (the thing with the flags) and ski jumping, and soccer with weird flying pandas and shoes (!?what am I on drugs?!) and step aerobics and jogging.  Yeah. I went jogging last night.  :)   The more I take it seriously and don't allow myself to have a bit of fun the more I'm going to feel like I'm being deprived.  And then I'll get mad.  And then I'll want to eat something.  But last night I exercised and it was fun.

Today I started out in a pissy mood.  I didn't sleep well and subsequently slept too late and today was my annual review so I HAD to be on time and look presentable.  Lucky for me I bought a box of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt when I went looking for my Sobe Lifewater.  Those little yogurts are GOOD.  I like the vanilla and blueberry.  And they are only 60 calories (1 point).  Got through the job evaluation and was hungry by the time I got home. 

Now it may seem ironic, given my love for food, but I am NOT a good cook.  I have been extremely blessed over the years with roommates that are great cooks and that love to cook.  One of the things that gets me into trouble is my impatience (not just in diet but let's stay focused on that shall we?) and when I get home from work I want to EAT.  NOW.  If my roommate got home before me there will usually be a yummy dinner waiting for me.  If (like today) I get home first I'm the one that cooks.....  Historically this has led to many a pizza or fast food dinner.  (Because hey, it's food right NOW.)  Today I made a big salad.

Fresh lettuce from someone's garden, tomato, baby carrots, green onions, string cheese (yes, it's worth the points to me), yellow pepper and some raspberry vinaigrette dressing.  All of that, plus the yogurts, 1 strawberry and 3 blueberries and I've still got a good 1/2 of my points left.  Throw in some time on the Wii (tell me I'm unbalanced, HAH, I'll figure out how to do that damn ski hill if it kills me!) and today will be a good day. 

And the best part?  I don't feel like I've deprived myself.  I know myself well enough to know that I will get hungry at night.  And not hungry for most of the morning.  So I just adjust my points allotment to fit what I want and it seems to be working.  I have no clue what the scale will say this week, but I'm not going to beat myself up if it wasn't 5 pounds less, because I know that what I did this week was better than what I did last week.  And that is the right direction.

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

3 comments:

  1. I am the SAME way about when I get home to eat. I want something I can grab and eat. I don't want to "cook" anything. It is tooooo much work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you cook it beforehand and it's ready to go then you can pop it into the microwave and eat. Of course you have to cook it ahead of time so it's back to.....knowing what you'll want and setting yourself up to have that. I have been known to set up meals in advance by buying things pre-sliced. Setting them up in little containers so I can just mix and go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes complete sense to me to portion out your points with more in the evening. The days that I could have half my points for supper were the best days! Once I figured out how to do that and not be hungry, I was golden! :)

    ReplyDelete