Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 5 - Weekend Blahs

So, Saturday.  Stayed up too late last night and ruined my sleep schedule and resulted in feeling like crap all day.  I realized that I've been blogging before I have my evening meal this week.  Basically have been having some sort of veggie "meat", some vegetable and some dairy (cheese).  Last night I went way over the day's points.  (ok, over by 4) and with weight watchers you have a certain number of points per week that you can use up (for those of us that cheat) so I was able to use a couple of those.

I have had a weird headache most of the day and haven't felt like eating so that has helped what is usually a difficult day.  Weekends are when I get bored and well, food is usually right there (or comes if you call the pizza guy) and while I seriously could do some walking or exercise, the extent of exercise is usually cleaning house.  (This counts, but walking would be better.  Goals. Goals.)

I went to the Weight Watchers website today and one of the tools they have for people like me that are doing the online version is a list of foods that are filling.  I went through and marked a bunch of them as favorites so that when I go on to list the foods I've eaten I can just click on a "favorite".  Interesting that they have a bunch of stuff listed like "lentils, dried" and gives the points.  Uhhh, who eats dried lentils????  No one that I know.  But they also give you points for a cup of cooked whatever.

Of course the vegetables with high water content like cucumbers and celery have no point value.  Put them in a salad and you can have a bunch of stuff to much on with very few points!

Tomorrow is my weigh in day but I pulled out the old scale just to see today and if it is correct I have lost 5.6 pounds this last week.  That is possible, given the fact that I started to track what I was eating and thus ate less.  However, just think what I can ultimately lose when I add exercise to this.  I just need to make myself do it.  It's funny, I come up with these big, grand plans to get up and exercise - when I'm falling asleep at night.  I have the best of intentions and ideas but when the alarm goes off the next morning I hit that snooze button like it's a whack-a-mole.  So, maybe my answer to that is to walk in the evening when I'm home. 

I also found out that a very good friend of mine from work is a life-long member of weight watchers and she has offered to be my walking buddy so I think I may be able to get back into that good habit.  This is also the friend that goes to the gym regularly so when I am up to doing that I would go with her.  It really is important to have support when doing this stuff.  Mel sent me a great email when I told her I'd signed up with the Weight Watchers plan, cheering me on and supporting me and underscoring the importance of having a support system.  I remember in college I had a friend who was very happy to "diet" with me.  She was very nice and well-meaning but she was about a size 5 when she started.  And her diet involved one day where all we ate were banannas.... Yeah, this does not work for me.

Luckily I live with my best friend and as I mentioned he and I have talked about this goal I have and he is neither pushy (which would piss me off and send me to self-destruct mode) nor judgmental.  Because really, this is my project.  My choice.  My responsibility.  And, ultimately, my success.  :)

So, today I haven't eaten much.  As I said I don't feel good.  Was supposed to go to a BBQ tonight and I can't imagine even leaving the house, much less eating anything.  I poured myself a glass of Coke Zero, that will hopefully help with the headache.  I have focused on the whole grains that the WW website points out have more grams of fiber and are less points overall.  I had a couple of open faced "sandwiches" also.  1 less piece of bread than 2 sandwiches, and it's basically a griller (or equivalent - meatless "hamburger") a smear of olive oil mayo and some mustard. 

I like that the WW website encourages you to track how you feel before and after you eat.  This is important for people like me that eat when we're emotional, or bored.  Plus you can create a meal and see how many points it would be.  Honey mustard has very low points and I like the taste it adds to sandwiches.  (my favorite of all foods).

So, 5.6 pounds down (will see what it says in the morning), little to no change in exercise habits yet and I still have 2/3rds of my points to go for the day.   Think I'll go cook up some veggies and (meatless) chicken strips.

One day. One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

3 comments:

  1. I actually laughed out loud at the "whack-a-mole" comment about your alarm clock. Man, can I relate!!!

    I am proud of you. 5 pounds already? That is so great!

    I was playing around with the WW website today quite a bit. (I can't find you on there, by the way. Go find me....montanasnowbaby, of course.)

    Anyway, I am starting to play around with entering my foods and seeing how much damage I really do with how I eat NOW to see how much adjusting I will have to do. Yaaaaaah. I used 62.5 points today (I am supposed to use 35) and only have 7 of my anytime points this week left. HA HA HA Not a great start.

    Maybe I shouldn't have started this on a weekend. But the biggest change for me will be thinking about what I am eating. So I am definitely doing that now. That will be most the battle.

    THANK YOU for blogging. It helps me to know I am not alone. My cousin just started this, too. Support, support, support, like you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading.
    All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MTSnowBB - awesome! (ok not awesome about the points, but you know what we have to start from somewhere. I think it's really a good idea to start off knowing where your baseline is so you know where you're headed. BTW, we have the same # of points to get in a day. :)

    Fallen Angel - :) thank you. And obviously I have re-thought my "issues" with anonymity for this blog so if you want to link, go right ahead. Thanks for reading and the support that it represents for me is very important to me. VERY.

    ReplyDelete