Monday, November 1, 2010

Week 14 - wait, week thirteen ends on Halloween?? Nice

So, I've been busy again.  No potlucks or anything.  Did have a party on Saturday night.  The hostess is renowned for cupcakes.  Baking.  Decorating.  Whatever you want to eat that's sweet and yummy Michele can do it.  She's making my cake for my 40th birthday party.  LEMON baby.  Lemon.  :)

Yeah, so we had a party and thankfully most if not all of the food there was small, bite sized and basically good for you.  The jello shots and drinks (appletinis and my current favorite - oatmeal cookies) not so much.  But boy were they good.  And I only had 1 cupcake.  :)  This made the 2nd or 3rd year my roommate and I have dressed up and gone to parties on Halloween.  I love the excuse to dress up.  It's super fun.

Now, some out there might be a bit averse to the holiday itself.  And I can understand that.  I did not really know much about the holiday when I was growing up.  Just that it was supposed to be about the devil.  Now I've had some time to do some historical research and yes there are for sure people out there that want to make it about that, and yes it does have to do with the concept of being in touch with dead people.  BUT that's not the only thing it's about.

It was traditionally called Samhain and was a day to honor the dead.  Not unlike our modern day memorial day.  Just more....Celtic.  It was part of the 4 parts of the year that were closely related to harvest times and was traditionally a time to stock up for the coming winter.  It got folded into the Catholic tradition of All Saint's Day and has devolved into a night that makes dentists drool in anticipation.  Ok, maybe that part's my imagination but seriously - do you even remember how much candy you ate at Halloween when you were a kid?  We didn't have a specific trick or treat outing till I was in 8th grade (and we moved away from a more conservative place to the *gasp* liberal Phoenix, AZ) but we still had what we called Harvest Parties.  (Which, looking at the history and tradition are really still directly related to the original "pagan" holidays.)  And we still ate a LOT of candy.  To this day I cannot eat candy corn because my best friend in the 5th grade, Carla, brought a bag of it to a slumber party and we ate the entire thing.  And Reese's Pieces.  Can't eat them either. 

This year on Halloween I had a bowl of home-made Pho, a caramel apple and 2 peanut butter cups.  And they were awesome.  :)  Tonight the roommate made more harvest stew and I'm tellin you it's so good!!!  If you are a weight watchers person you can probably look up the recipe online, I put it on there.

So, I'm getting ready for bed, logged my food for the day and I still have 8 points to go!!  That's good because I didn't lose anything last week.  I know it's because I didn't exercise.  That part is easily identified.  What is not as easily done?  Either getting up in the morning and doing the Wii or a walk in the dark and rain (or sleeping in......) or doing something after work.  I think a 3rd option is probably better...walking once during the day.  I'm more likely to actually take a lunch break that way anyway.

OK, well, I'm off to sleep now.  Just wanted to check in.  I'm still takin' it

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment