Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 16 - Weigh-in day - comfort and joy

Back on track - 31.5 pounds down (meaning I lost 2.5 pounds) and that's after eating pizza last night and making sounds while eating it that should probably not be made in polite company.  Papa Murphy's vegetarian pizza has never been so good!


The week went by so fast and the weekend was great and action-packed.  This is the 2nd of 3 weekends this month that I am lucky to have one of my very best friends visiting us here and I soaked up the conversation, companionship and fun.  Probably a good thing that I was the designated driver, saved me on points and got me back on track.

My work has an incentive for the employees, basically a response to rising health care costs, that has inspired my roommate to focus on getting healthy and is helping me focus on my own journey.  Basically what they are doing is doubling the cost of our health care as of the first of the year.  But if you choose to get a health screening (they take your blood to test your cholesterol, weigh you and measure you and tell you what your numbers are and try to get you to focus on being healthy) you will not have your costs go up.  This year.  And so this next week I'm going to have a meeting with someone who will tell me I'm obese and tell me their numbers.  And it will be helpful in that it might give me numbers I don't know (I don't know my cholesterol off the top of my head, but I know it's high) the only reason I'm doing it is to save money.

Yes, the information should help people that have not started to be aware of their own health.  Absolutely.  However, me knowing my numbers isn't going to shame me into being healthier.  I am opposed in fact to that way of training.  Completely opposed.  I know it works for some groups of people, but it does not work for this person.  The changes that I want to and will make in my life will be because I WANT to be different.  And because I choose to be better.  Not because I'm ashamed of my numbers.  (ok, maybe shame for how big my ass is might be part of it, but not a major factor)

My roommate took his test last week and came home and decided to focus more on being healthy.  This helps my cause because, well because this way there's 2 of us in on the project.  Even if we each have a separate end-goal.

Today it's cold and foggy and I had a bowl of warm oatmeal with peaches, apples and banana.  This plus coffee is comfort food for me and makes me happy.  And after stepping on the scale this morning I am encouraged and even more determined.  Just a little over 2 months from now I will be 40.  And I would really like to have lost at least 20 more pounds by then.  And I know I can.

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment