Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week 15 - TCN

So, yeah, I've been tracking my foods but NOT blogging.  The week has gotten away from me and here I am at Thursday.  I have had a great week.  I've been helping some friends work through some pretty intense personal stuff, life-changing stuff and it's impossible to not be affected by things like this, even when it's not your life. 

About a year ago my roommate and I were having our annual discussion about the holidays.  He hates them. He thinks the decorations, the big deal made about them on tv and for promotions and money is disgusting and calls Christmas "forced-giving".   I LOVE them.  I get caught up in the nostalgia.  Decorate.  Put on the music that you really can only stand once a year.  I sit in the dark with the lights on the tree and listen to music, write out cards.  I even bake.  And yet I see his point.  The reason behind the celebrations is, or was, about something more and it's been buried under the latest half-off sales

And last year we were talking about the reasons these days were set aside (besides the commercialization and money-making).  The things we celebrate during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's - at Thanksgiving we give thanks for the things that we have.  We're a little less likely to be upset about the things we don't have and a little more grateful for what we actually have.  At Christmas we give gifts.  Sometimes these are gifts we have made and sometimes we buy them.  People are more generous with others at Christmas.  On New Year's Day (if they're not hung-over) people re-evaluate and re-set for the new year.  Set new goals.  Re-commit ourselves to the things that are truly important to us.

So, the question was - why don't we live every day like it's all 3 of these days?  Being thankful for what we do have, giving to others and re-committing to our goals.  I think it's a really good idea.  And I'm writing this post to remind myself of it's value, and to share with you what I think is a good idea. 

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment