Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Split Pea Yoga Master

So I will spare you details but summarize the last couple of days with advice to steer clear of split peas.
They canNOT be good for you.  No need for any more info on that.  Just know they're bad " 'm kay?"

Ok, now then things are back on track after the weekend's fun.  Back to veggies with little to no cravings for cheese.  We went shopping and bought some almond milk to use in cooking.  Compared it to Silk Soy milk and it's slightly higher in sodium content but not by much.  Both are good.  I've never been a milk drinker so it's no big change for me.  I do like it in my oatmeal in the mornings.  And I am now used to the no added salt diet. It took me a little bit to get used to it but I do recommend trying it.

I started this post on Tuesday and now it's Wednesday night.  I am happy to be able to report that I did 22 minutes of exercise tonight.  We were discussing the fact that we've kind of plateau'd on this new diet and so now comes the WORK part of the losing weight part.  The moving part.  Diet is 1/2 of it.  Now to make exercise a habit.  I'm still failing miserably when it comes to getting up and walking while at work.  There's just so much to do!  And I know - there will ALWAYS be something to do.  But yeah.  I don't move enough. 

So tonight I came home and put the Wii Fit on and put myself through a short run, some strengthening exercises that included a move that felt and looked suspiciously like sit ups but they call something else (as if you can make it easier by not calling it a sit up).  Then I did all of the yoga moves that I've learned so far.  And I seriously do NOT like the Tree pose.  You are supposed to grab one leg and put your foot up on the inner thigh of the other leg (yeah, my leg goes somewhere just above the knee), then stand with your arms above your head, hands clasped and breathe.  Steadily.  And don't wobble.  Whatever you do DON'T WOBBLE!  (or fall over).  It is much harder than it looks.  But I did it. 

And then, after doing a new pose that I don't remember the name of but also involved standing on one leg and pulling your knee into your rib cage when you inhale, my wonderful cook made me a fantastic stir fry dish of onion, cilantro, basil, red pepper, black  beans, tomato, avocado, bean sprouts and mango.  Y U M M Y!!!  And for dessert?  Mixed berries and soy milk blended up into a cold, sweet creamy dish.  VERY GOOD.
I am definitely getting used to the diet.  For lunch I went across the street to the deli and bought 2 salads to go.  One that I never in a million years would have bought 2 months ago, it had BEETS in it.  And the other was a regular garden salad.  No sodas.  No fries.   I could have.  But I would only have been cheating me.

So now I just need to make this exercise thing a habit.  Oh, and the Wii?  Tonight it told me I'd lost another couple of pounds.  Of course it's been weighing me in at higher #s than my regular scale so I hated it to begin with but I am inching ever closer to my next goal.   :)

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment