Friday, March 4, 2011

Fondue

So, tonight we went to a restaurant for the first time since we've been on this diet.  Mind you he's been going to a place called Sweet Tomatos for lunch every day during the week.  (It's a salad bar buffet) But tonight it was one of our closest friend's birthday/going away dinner.  We went to a German restaurant that is famous for (of course) beer and bratwurst and fondue.  Do you know what fondue is?  Cheese.  :)

In the 1970s my parents got into the craze that was going around and we had a fondue pot.  Broke crusty bread up and dipped it in the pot of warm, melted fabulous cheese.  Cheese.  My favorite cheating outlet. 

Tonight I had searched the menu out online beforehand and planned out a spinach salad and lentil soup.  When we got there they had a side dish of braised red cabbage that I had too.  YUM.  The first thing I noticed was how salty everything was.  The lentil soup was really good and warm but it had loads of salt.  And yes, I did try ONE square of bread with the sinful fondue.  This too was salty to me.  The salad had too much dressing so you couldn't enjoy the sliced strawberries and feta (yes, cheese).  And here's the funny thing - a year ago I'd have eaten everything on my plate and gone for 1/2 of the fondue pot.  Not this time.  I do notice that I am craving something sweet right now and I'm wondering if this isn't a side effect of all that salt.  They say that one of the many side effects of salt is that you crave sugar.  Does not surprise me. Almost guarantees that the dinner will end with dessert.  (We didn't get any, we had drinks.)


So for breakfast I had oatmeal with some soy milk and raisins and honey (YUM) and a banana.  Then a snack of almonds and dates.   For lunch I finished the rest of the big salad I made to go with dinner last night.  Lettuce, beans, tomato, cucumber, onion, green olives, red pepper, vinaigrette, cashews and sunflower seeds.  Yeah.  THAT was lunch.  And I wasn't hungry till about 4 when I had an apple. 

Tomorrow should be interesting, we're going on a wine tour.  "Lunch" is snacks in the limo (!!) which are....cheese and meats.  HAHAHAHAHAHA  Yeah I don't know that taking peanut butter and celery sticks is what they meant when they said bring snacks, but we are going to try.  :)

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment