Sunday, March 6, 2011

Are Wii Having Fun Yet?

Ok, so no progress on the weight loss this week.  I can tell you exactly why too....cheese entered my body again this weekend.  Along with a bunch of wine.  Yowza.   So, Friday night we went to Gustav's and had the yummy but extremely salty food.  Saturday I woke up feeling like I needed to drink more water (hmmm, think if you eat too much salt your body wants water??  Yeah, I think so.)  and so on the way to our friends' house we picked up some Smart Waters as well as bananas and apples. 

A side note here about Smart Water.  What makes it smart?  That the "makers" of this product are smart enough to bottle it in such a way as to get suckers like me to buy it?  I dunno.  But I do like it.  I could likely have just filled a bottle at home with our filtered water but I didn't have a bottle.   I do now.

A few months ago 10 of us bought tickets through Groupon (which has some great deals and also I believe advertises on my page...the more you click the more I'll get points or something, I dunno) for a day of wine tasting at local wineries with a limo ride and lunch.  Yesterday was the day to do the trip.  I think had this come up after we started our new diet I wouldn't have gone, but as it was the tickets were purchased and we were looking forward to something new.  (I'd never done this before.)  Limo picked us up at 10:45am at a central meeting spot (home of one of the couples going).  White stretch limo that "seats 10".  Indeed it does seat 10 but comfortably?  Probably 8.  It wasn't bad, a long C shaped bench of seats with glasses for wine (which we were encouraged to bring for ourselves) and a snack basket that was universally panned by all.  The basket consisted of crackers and cookies and there was a "platter" of cubed meats and cheeses and a little bit of fruit.  Luckily for us one of the people brought strawberries and we had bought some Fuji (best apples ever) apples and bananas.  Let me tell you that it is a very odd thing indeed to be riding in a car with an open container of alcohol, and DRINKING IT.  Our driver was quite sober and patient with a group that got progressively rowdier until on the way home the littlest one of the bunch finally lost it....out the back window...
I was at the opposite end so I had no idea what had happened until someone said that the driver of the car next to us was laughing his ass off while she stuck her head (and a bag that didn't hold out well) out the window.  Ahhh yes.  Winos R Us. 

Still it was a lovely drive, great company and we came home with 2 great bottles of wine and I got a shirt that says "Grateful Red" on it from one of the places.  (Am wearing it now actually, very comfy.)  So my breakfast was the very healthy oatmeal with soy milk, honey and a banana.  Lunch was cheese cubes, crackers, a sliver of melon and probably about a bottle of wine all together.  (3 vineyards, between 5 and 8 tastes per place per person...)  When we got home everyone was positive they were dying of hunger (and we were a bit hungry too) so after buying some activated charcoal for my little friend C who was still looking rather green (if you ever need help with nausea/vomiting/stomach issues of any kind go buy a bottle at your local grocery store, probably in the vitamin section.  I keep some with me at all times.  It cures hangovers too.)  we ordered food to go from the mexican place down the street. 

That's right, after almost 3 weeks of little to no cheese, NO rice and very low sodium I had a cheese enchilada with rice and beans and chips and salsa and a tsp of guacamole.  It was fantastic.  And by 9pm I was so tired that I went to bed.  It literally made me feel like I'd been drugged.  Between all the wine and the heavy food I was very sleepy. 

So today the scale had not moved further which was to be expected but I FINALLY made myself move.  It was nice enough to go outside and walk but I didn't go outside.  Instead, after a brief flirtation with organization (that is an ongoing process with our newly combined household) I got the Wii Fit stuff out and I stepped on the board again.  The last time I'd been on it (because it keeps track) was near the end of September.  And between then and now I've lost 11 pounds!!  So that made me happy.  I am still NOT where I want to be but I am on my way.

I decided to go through the yoga moves today.  The breathing one is great (you focus on breathing in and out through your nose and using your abdominal muscles, wherever they are, on exhaling) and there was the warrior pose, the greeting the sun pose and the tree.  I did each of them twice through and on the greeting the sun pose there's one point where you are supposed to exhale and touch your toes.  HAHAHAHAHAHA  I can touch my toes if I'm sitting on my bed putting my socks on.  NOT if I'm standing upright and reaching for them.  But after the 2nd time through I was able to briefly get there.  And I know that the more I do this the more flexible I will be.  The focus today was on balance and working on the hips and thighs.  I did 30 minutes and was/am very proud of myself.  Ended it with the "dance" step and a short run.  Felt/feel great and am planning to do it again tomorrow morning.  This can be my start of a new habit.  And I am positive it's the key to pushing the weight numbers back down again.  Diet + Exercise = weight loss success.

Today I had oatmeal as usual and haven't been tempted to cheat again.  (of course there isn't any cheese or bread to cheat with but still I was expecting some cravings after all the stuff  I ate this weekend)  I generally don't like Sunday afternoons because I start to think about going back to work and that gets me in a funk.  But not today.  And I'm quite sure that the exercise has everything to do with it. 

One day.  One pound.  One step at a time.
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment