Sunday, January 9, 2011

1/9/11 - In the Immortal Words of....

Who came up with this phrase "in the immortal words of..." followed by something pithy, wise or hilarious?  I don't know but today has had me running it through my head.  Several times this weekend I've said "ladies & gentlemen, ladies & gentlemen" in a voice intended to imitate Alan Rickman in the first Die Hard movie.  And I've had several meaningful conversations with friends in which we quoted someone who we felt summed up whatever we were talking about. 
Immortal words.  That's a pretty tall order.  Making your words count.  I would think that the "immortal" part doesn't come until much longer after you've said them.
For me my own personal immortal words started when I started this blog.  When I said that this was the first step to getting healthy.  And along the way I promised to be honest and to continue to work towards my goal of  being healthy.
So today I stood on the scale and I have gained back 8 pounds.  Yes.  EIGHT.  These represent yummy drinks, sugary delights, hours spent sitting on my ass when I should have at least gotten up and walked for 5 minutes, or 10.  And today I reminded myself that this is on my own timeline.  And on my own terms.  Cause it's my weight I'm losing.  Believe me if I could get someone else (let's pick Jillian Michaels shall we?) to lose it for me I so would.  But no.  It's me.  And in one of my conversations today I reminded a very good friend who was going through, no IS going through a very rough time to ....(wait for it) in the immortal words of Steve Perry "Don't stop believing".  And I am taking my own advice. 

One day.  One step.  One pound at a time.
~N

1 comment:

  1. So let me make you feel better. Two (three?) years ago I was doing L.A. Weight Loss and I had lost 25 pounds or so and was doing GREAT!!!!! Then Christmas struck. I gained SEVEN pounds in ONE week when my mom's whole family went to Couer d'Alene for a family reunion. When I got home and discovered that, I gave up and never got back on track. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!! You can totally lose 7 pounds in 2 weeks and be right back on track. NO WORRIES!! RAH RAH RAH - you can DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete