Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve 2010

I am a sentimental person.  I have a personal tradition on the last day of the year that I write in a journal, reviewing the year and things I have done/gone through.  This year I wrote my review last night and I compared this year with 10 years ago, 10 years before that and 10 years before that.  One of the things I was looking at was how technology had changed - I was sitting on my couch, playing on my laptop while my roommate was able to check news, the weather and even star-gaze with his new android cell phone.  In my review I compared my head-space from the last 30 years with this year and one of the things I noticed was that I am so much happier I am this year than I have been in years.  And while it's true I have packed on 5 pounds since November -  it's all about the sugar and the drinks and the NOT exercising - it is also true that I got myself back onto weightwatchers online.  Since their new points changed up I had a hard time adjusting and, did I mention the not exercising?  Yeah it's been a wee bit nuts at my work and I have gotten out of the good habit of doing my daily reports both here and on the WW website. 
But there's no time like NOW to be back in the habit and I started that now on Sunday.  Yes, the day after Christmas.  Surprisingly enough I had not overdone it for dinner the day before....that's because of the tequila.  See, I have this other tradition - it started when my roommate moved here 5 years ago and we got together for Christmas and drank an entire (small bottle) of 1800.  And every year since then it's been our little thing.  However, usually it starts like this:  get up early, make mimosas (champagne and orangejuice) and open presents, then the roommate makes a big, huge fabulous dinner.  And we drink a bottle of tequila and eat ourselves silly.  This year we didn't make the dinner.  Just drank.  And I was asleep by 10pm. 
So, I went to the grocery store to stock up on good for me food (because when I don't get groceries I go out to eat and that's hardly ever good) and I found a new thing from Safeway - they are snack packs, find them where the packaged salads are.  They have little packets of baby carrots and a tiny dish of ranch.  Then there's one that's got grapes, baby carrots, cheddar cheese and crackers (150 cal - 4 points) and one that has baby carrots, pea pods, cheese and ranch (150 cal - 3 points).  Having handy snacks is key for my success.  That and soup.  (fills me up and low cal)
The new points system well....it doesn't make sense to me yet but it bumped my daily points allowance by over 10 points.  However, many of the things I was used to eating (bread, cheese, tofurky) went up in points.  The main thing I notice is that fruits and veggies are almost all zero points.  So, I started back up on Monday and will weigh in on Sunday as usual.  Tonight we have friends coming over and we are drinking and who knows what else, but I always look at the start of a new year as the opportunity to clean the slate and start again.  This year I'm not exactly starting again because I am still down 25 pounds from where I was in August and no clue how far down from a year ago this time.
I hope that each of you has a good start to the brand new year.  Happy New Year!

Remember that if you put your mind to it you can do anything.  And just keep taking it

One day, One step, One pound at a time.
~N

No comments:

Post a Comment